Monday, December 10, 2012

DIY Fillable Glitter Ornaments

Hey everyone. So sorry I haven't blogged much recently, I've been working  60-70 hour weeks and got really sick because of it. This post is long overdue because of it, so again I apologize. Anyway, here they are, glitter ornaments that make lovely party favors (which is what I did with them) or even surprise gift wrap. Either way they make for pretty little things that will amuse friends and guests. I apologize in advance, this was my first ever tutorial so the camera work is not great. I'm hoping to get a tripod before I film my next one. I'm not going to pretend I've ever done this type of project before, but I wanted to experiment and figured someone had to try to do this. I wanted people to see the whole process, blunders and all. Here we go! Instructions are under the video.





Supplies: 
Fillable acrylic ornaments (I used 70mm and liked that size, but you can use whatever you like.)
Masking tape or scotch tape
Spray paint made for use on plastic (I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch Ultra Cover)
Spray glue for glitter (didn't know they made it until I went looking for it. If you wanted to you could use a craft glue and paint it on each one individually, but it will take a lot longer.) (I used Design Master Glue for Glitter invisible adhesive)
A clear spray sealant (I used Patricia Nimock's Clear Acrylic Sealer)
Fine glitter (I used Nicole Crafts Ultra Fine Premium Glitter in Iridescent Silver)
Plastic sheeting or something similar to cover your workspace (I used a surgical drape because I was in the office and some of them got stuck to it at one point, not good)
Thin ribbon of choice to string through
A mask to wear while spray painting

Make sure to work in a well ventilated area.

Open a window and get a fan going if you can. It's no good to breathe in any of the fumes from the spray paints. I mention working with kids in the video, only have them help you during parts when no spray paints are being used and once any fumes have cleared away. During the glitter step, it would be best to only have children help if you are using a paint on glue. Otherwise have them help with other tasks.

Lets get started!

Lay down protective sheeting or whatever you are using to cover your workspace.
Next star unwrapping those ornaments. Mine came individually wrapped so this could take a little while. 
Start laying down the ornaments onto your working space and try to keep your halves together as it will make matching them up later a but easier.
Next (or while unwrapping) you'll want to take a small piece of tape and wrap the loop at the top of each half, this will help to prevent it from getting clogged by paint and glitter, making it easier to string a ribbon through later.
If you are making a lot of ornaments, it may be easier to do them in batches on more than one work space.
Lay down a thin layer of your spray paint, you can go in with a second layer if you like later. If you are using the glitter (which, why wouldn't you? It's beautiful) you don't need much of the spray paint, just enough to give it a little background color and opacity. If you decide to keep a few just spray painted or want to do designs or splashes of glitter, go in for a second, more thorough coat.
Allow this to dry.
Next apply a fairly liberal amount of the spray adhesive, do only a few ornaments at a time, something I realized a little late, you'll get a better result. Have your glitter ready and liberally pour it on to the wet ornaments. Keep repeating until they are covered. Allow them to dry again. 
Shake off the excess glitter and move the ornaments to a second space if you have one, or at least off of the first workspace so you can collect the leftover glitter. I managed to gather up a lot of mine and bottled it back up. 
Check your ornaments, some might already be just the way you want them, if not, take them one at a time and apply a small amount of spray adhesive (too much and they might look blotchy and chunky, not gorgeous) and again liberally apply glitter. 
Once they have dried completely from this step as well, again shake off the loose glitter. 
Clean off your work surface and one by one liberally spray the ornaments with the sealer. You want to ensure a good even coat with this step, because it will ensure that more glitter stays on your ornament than on your guests (or your floor.)
Allow these to dry completely. Be patient. I know it's a lot of drying steps.
Remove the tape from the loops at the top
Once these lovely, glittering orbs have dried, match them up with their mate, if a little, or a lot, of glitter has made it's way into the seam, just twist them side to side as you connect them and it should loosen them up.
Once matched up use small lengths of ribbon to string them together, I choose to make bows, but do it however you like.
Now you can place small gifts, raffle tickets, etc. inside to surprise your guests. You might even be able to do a Yankee Swapper like this.
It's a fun little party favor that guests will remember.

I hope you guys enjoyed my first tutorial!

No comments:

Post a Comment