Sunday, January 19, 2014

Quick & Easy Quiche Recipe

When I was younger I didn't really care for quiche, what was wrong with me?! I love quiche now, it's great for breakfast, brunch, lunch and even dinner. I have a tried and true recipe for quiche that works well for appetizer or full sized quiche, but it had a fattening and a bit time consuming crust. So I fooled around in the kitchen for a bit and ended up trying it with crescent rolls... and it worked!

The wonderful thing about quiche is you can put just about any combination of things in it and it always turns out great. Quiche is a wonderful opportunity to use up leftovers. For example if you make a roast chicken and have carved up the odds and ends pieces, you can dice a vegetable and toss in a little cheese and you've got a quiche! I happen to love a ham and cheese quiche and it was what I had on hand so it's what I made, but you can get creative!

8 oz ham, diced
6 oz gouda cheese, diced
dried oregano to taste
salt and pepper
1 tube crescent rolls
1/2 - 1 cup milk*
1-2 eggs*


Preheat your oven to 350F. I use a shallow pie dish for my quiche and just grease it lightly with some cooking spray.


Next you want to unroll the crescent rolls and place them into the dish with the pointed ends in the center. There will be a little room between them, just try to keep them evenly spaced. Your then going to use your fingers to press the seams together, if you end up with a little extra in the middle like I did, you can use it as "glue" in other spots.

Next you are going to add your filling, again I used ham steak and gouda cheese, but you can use what you like. I use a little salt and pepper and about a half tablespoon of dried oregano. Make sure to spread the filling out evenly.

 

 In the ingredients I noted 1/2 to 1 cup of milk and 1 to 2 eggs. If you are making mini quiche or if you have a lot of filling, you might only need 1 egg and 1/2 cup milk, however, in a less crowded quiche and many times in a full size quiche you will need 2 eggs and 1 cup milk. These should be beaten together and poured evenly into the quiche. I suggest starting with the 1 egg and 1/2 cup of milk and adding more if necessary. 





Now you'll want to put your quiche in the over for 30-45 minutes. Keep an eye on it around the 30 minute mark. I like my edges a little more browned, but if you like a lighter colored crust you may want to use a pie guard or a bit of foil around the edges to prevent over browning. The time will also vary depending on your oven and the amount of filling. The quiche should be golden and the egg should be settled and solid. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting to serve.

This is a recipe that reheats very well and is great for brunch or an easy dinner. Remember to get creative and use what you have. Another favorite quiche of mine is chicken and red peppers and a little cheese.

What do you like in your quiche?

No comments:

Post a Comment